National Championship Track Cycling Success

TASS Athlete supported by the University of Manchester takes Gold at the British Track Cycling Championships

On 28 and 29 January 2023, Archie Atkinson competed at his first British national track cycling championships. Archie is supported by The University of Manchester Performance Sport Team through being a nominated Talented Athlete Scholarship Scheme (TASS) athlete. TASS  is a Sport England-funded partnership between talented athletes, delivery sites and national governing bodies of sport. The University of Manchester is very proud to be a delivery site for TASS and to support athletes such as Archie.

Despite this being Archie’s first championships, he was looking forward to simply racing his bike. Showing everyone competing what he was capable of doing, whilst racing against a number of Paralympians.  

Archie said: No matter if I won or lost, I was looking forward to competing and making my parents and coach proud. My expectation going into the national championships was that this was going to a learning opportunity. This was my first time doing a track race, along with competing in the individual pursuit at full distance. Of course, I wanted to win. We are all athletes, that is what we do. I was up against one of the best riders in my para classification. I thought I had no chance, but you never know.

Archie took Gold in the individual pursuit on the Saturday. Followed by two silvers on the Sunday, in the Kilo race and scratch race. To round off a fantastic weekend of racing.

He went on to say:

Being a TASS athlete has been super helpful because of the support it has provided me with. I race against world class athletes who have full team support. My condition affects my balance and muscular strength. The Strength and Conditioning and Physiotherapy support I receive at the University of Manchester has helped me to be able to hold the black line around the track and maintain the time trial position. Whilst increasing my lower body strength and power.

Find out more

Sport and Activities

See our wide range of opportunities to get involved and be active in whilst you study at Manchester.

Volunteer

Be a part of the UoM Sport family and volunteer to make a difference to our community.