Our scholarships support student-athletes to thrive both in their academics and in their sport
The application window for 2021-22 is now open
We invite applications from domestic and international students that meet our scholarship criteria. For further information to support your application please see our scholarship selection policy. Applications will be reviewed within four weeks of submission.
Our Sport Scholarship
For high performing athletes we offer a comprehensive package of support to help you develop and excel across all aspects of your life.
We pride ourselves on our person-centred approach, shaping your scholarship support based on your journey and your needs as an individual. Whether you have an existing support teams (such as English Institute of Sport support) or would need our expert practitioners to support your development, we work with you from the outset to co-ordinate support that matters, placing you at the very centre of all decisions.
We’re passionate about helping you develop to be the best you can be and to help you achieve your aspirations in sport, studies and in life.
- Up to £1500 towards training or competition expense
- Annual gym pass for Armitage Sports Centre or Sugden
- Athletic Union club membership
- 1–2–1 sessions with our expert Strength and Conditioning Coaches
- Physiotherapy from our full-time University / TASS Physiotherapist
- Mentoring / Lifestyle support
- Sports scholarship kit
- Access to workshops
- Promotion of your success
- Opportunity to be an ambassador for your sport
To be eligible for the programme athletes will need to meet the minimum criteria;
- A University of Manchester full-time/part-time undergraduate/postgraduate student OR a prospective student who has received a conditional/unconditional offer and is commencing study in September 2021.
- Competing at a minimum of UK Junior National level on a recognised player pathway of a Sport England/UK Sport recognised sport (for overseas applications, the standard must be equivalent to that of the UK).
- Be contracted to a club in a professional/semi-professional league, competing at national/international level (for overseas applications, the standard must be equivalent to that of the UK).
- Evidences a personal, sport and technical/physical profile that demonstrate performance levels of the minimum criteria.
- Evidences continuing striving for personal excellence, defined in this application under headline areas of:
- Displays a commitment to striving for personal excellence
- Manages and balances the demands of a dual-career athlete
- Takes ownership of their programme
- Embraces learning and personal development
Our 2021-22 Sport Scholarship Athletes
Ali Ahmed – Volleyball
Amy Carter – Netball
Bronwen Reed – Athletics
Cholan Kayan – Badminton
Eleanor Taylor – Fencing
LLB Law with International Study
Fergus Warr – Rugby Union
Grace Harvey – Para-Swimming
Imogen Turner – Netball
Jamie Ingram – Swimming
Katherine Rogers – Waterpolo
Lois Pearson – Netball
Matthew Tonge – Weightlifting
Mohammed Nour – Tae Kwon Do
Natalie Stevens – Hockey
BEng Civil Engineering
Nicole Burdett – Archery
Olivia Henderson – Waterpolo
Ruth Mwandumba – Rifle Shooting
Sushantika Chakravotty – Basketball
Ty Brokley - Langford
Ty Brockley-Langford – Athletics
Previous Scholarship Athletes
Nicole Burdett – Archery (BSc Psychology)
Ruth Mwandumba – Rifle Shooting (PhD Epidemilogy)
Bailey Hairsine – Open Water Swimming (MSci Biomedical Science)
Grace Harvey – Para-Swimming (BSc Immunology)
Amy Carter – Netball (MBChB Medicine)
Emma Cogni – Water polo (BA Politics, Philosophy and Economics)
Imogen Turner – Netball (BDS Dentistry)
Jamie Ingram – Swimming (BSc Mathematics)
Sophie Capewell – Cycling (BSc Mathematics)
Aimee Pratt – Athletics (BSc Anatomical Sciences)
Fergus Warr – Rugby Union (BA History)
Eleanor Taylor – Fencing (LLB Law with International Study)
Harriet Knowles-Jones – Athletics (BEng Mechanical Engineering)
Natalie Stevens – Hockey (BEng Civil Engineering)
Catriona Booth – Hockey (MRes Cardiovascular Health and Disease)
Lois Pearson – Netball (BSc Mathematics)
Sotia Zenios – Karate (MBChB/PhD Medicine)
2021-22 Sport Scholarship
Talented Athlete Scholarship Scheme Info
Interested in Manchester in 2022-23?
Register for updates