It has been confirmed that the closure date for Manchester Aquatics Centre is Friday 26th November 2021.
The refurbishment scheme has been designed to maintain and grow the centre’s aquatics and health and fitness programmes for the next 20 years. This will include upgrade works to all areas of the centre including;
- All swimming pools
- Fitness suites including all gyms and studios
- Leisure Water
- Health Suites
- Changing Place -accessible changing provision to meet the needs of disabled people
The refurbishment will introduce new digital and sustainable technologies helping to make the centre more energy efficient and to provide a more modern and efficient building in the long term.
The works will be split into phases to enable a reduced programme of public swimming to continue at all times. During the first phase the training pool will remain open for limited sessions.
The gyms, studio, health suite, main pool, diving pool and café will close from end of day Friday 26th November 2021 until late spring 2023.
The reduced programme of public swimming in the Training Pool will be available from Wednesday 8th December 2021 and sessions can be booked via the Better UK app and online at www.better.org.uk/book
Members of the MAC are all being contacted directly with information about their membership during the closure period.]
UoM Sport clubs who train at the MAC have been consulted with and will be accessing alternative provision. Our Swim club will use the training pool, and our WaterPolo club will train and have fixtures at East Manchester Leisure Centre. We are currently working with the MAC and our Canoe club to find a suitable alternative training venue.
There is a range of alternative centres across Manchester that the local community can use during the closure including Sugden Sports Centre, conveniently located just 100m away.
Take a look and click on the centre name to be taken directly to their web page to find out more about what they offer:
- Sugden Sports Centre, 114, Grosvenor Street Manchester, M19 7HL
- Moss Side Leisure Centre, Moss Lane East, Moss Side, Manchester M15 5NN
- Hough End Leisure Centre, 480 Princess Road, Manchester, M20 1HD
- Whalley Range Stadium, 11-18 Wilbraham Rd, Manchester M16 8GW
- Arcadia Library & Leisure Centre, Yew Tree Avenue, Manchester, M19 3PH
- Belle Vue Leisure Centre, Kirkmanshulme Lane, Manchester M12 4TF
- East Manchester Leisure Centre, Grey Mare Lane, Manchester, M11 3ND
- North City Family & Fitness Centre, Upper Conran Street, Harpurhey, Manchester, M9 4DA
The refurbishment, once complete, will provide high quality, affordable leisure facilities for Manchester residents to enjoy.