A range of leagues, events and competitions to get involved in.
Sport Leagues are a great way to play the sport you love in a friendly social environment. There are longstanding teams and sports that have a great tradition in the leagues which you can be part of. However, there is always space for new teams and new sports!
All leagues are managed and run via the Playwaze app. See the information below in the dropdown menu for details on how you can join your league community as an individual, or enter your own team.
- Over 150 teams across 10 different sports leagues.
- Full fixture schedule and structured divisions spread over the academic year.
- Fun, social environment to play the sport you love.
- Meet new people and find exciting new ways to socialise through sport and activity.
- Leagues are student lead and managed by student league coordinators.
- Teams made up of staff and students, representing faculties, schools, departments, residences, societies, or friendship groups.
- Be part of university history. Represent your hall or department.
- Annual recognition of achievement.
- Opportunity to compete in external competitions.
Current League Standings and Sports
There are 10 Sport Leagues for you to join. With more planned to come! The current standings for each of the leagues can be viewed by clicking on the link in the ‘Sport’ Column.
|Men’s 11-a-side Football||Wednesday||14:00 – 16:30||Wythenshawe Sports Ground|
|Men’s Futsal||Sunday||17:30-19:30||Sugden Sports Centre|
|Men’s Rugby Union||Sunday||12:30-16:00||Armitage Sports Centre|
|Men’s Basketball||Sunday||20:00-22:00||Sugden Sport Centre|
|Mixed Badminton||Sunday||15:30-17:30||Sugden Sport Centre|
|Mixed Hockey||Sunday||15:30-19:30||Armitage Sports Centre|
|Mixed Table Tennis||Sunday||15:30-16:30||Sugden Sport Centre|
|Mixed Volleyball||Sunday||15:00-17:00||Sugden Sport Centre|
|Women’s 6-a-side Football||Thursday||18:00-19:00||Armitage Sports Centre|
|Women’s Netball||Tuesday & Wednesday||18:00-22:00 (Tue & Wed)||Sugden Sports Centre|
How to Join a league/enter a team - Via the Playwaze App
- Teams are expected to register at the start of the year and pay before the start of fixtures (varies across leagues).
- All league places must be paid for. Purchase your league place here via the online store.
- All our leagues will be run via the Playwaze app (Available on Android/App store). This will contain all team and fixture details
- Please download the app and join our league communities as an individual, or you can enter your own teams into the league if you are team captain/organiser.
- Players can request to join teams once you part of the league community
Links to Existing League Communities
- Men’s 11-a-side Football
- Women’s Netball
- Mixed Hockey
- Men’s Rugby Union
- Women’s 6-a-side Football
- Men’s Basketball
- Men’s Futsal
- Mixed Badminton
- Mixed Table Tennis
- Mixed Volleyball
Useful information about payments – There is a variety of payment methods that need to be confirmed if you wish to enter a team into the Sport Leagues.
- Society teams – Contact the Students Union to arrange payment.
- Residential teams – Provide confirmation from the Residents Association/Junior Common Room associated with your team to confirm payment.
- Departmental, Faculty, School, Course teams – Provide confirmation from the staff contact associated to your team to arrange payment.
- All other teams – Pay via the online store here.
- Any other queries please email email@example.com
Fixtures and Results
- Playwaze is the league management application that is used to run all our Sport Leagues.
- Mobile app available on Android and iOS devices
- Quick and easy to register, keep up to date with all the fixtures and results for your team, along with the entire programme of competition
- Click here to visit the Playwaze site and search for ‘The University of Manchester’ to join the league communities.
Tournaments and Events
- Fun competitions in addition to regular fixtures, normally played towards the end of the year over a single day.
- Weekend Cup and Shield competitions (11-a-side Football only).
- Another chance to get your teams name on an annual trophy.
- Themed competitions, such as fancy dress, or joint events with Manchester Metropolitan University.
Hall of Fame
Winners of leagues & competitions 18/19
- Prem – Manchester Medics F.C
- Div 1 – Physics FC
- Div 2 – MACE Athletico
- Div 3 – BSc Economics
- Div 4 – Owens Park 3
- Roy Little Cup – Owens Park 1
- John Hadwin Shield – Athletico ACS
- Div 1 – Medics 1’s
- Div 2 – MULS
- Tournament Winners – Medics 1’s
- Tournament Shield winners – Tri-Services 2
- Div 1 – StaffNet Scarletts
- Div 2 – Whitworth Park
- Div 3 – Ashburne & Sheavyn
- Tournament Cup – Medics 1’s
- Tournament Plate – StaffNet Scarletts
- League Winners – Liverpool Engineers
- Bowl Winners – Physics Rugby
- Tournament Winners – MMU
- Division 1 Winners – MARS
- Division 2 Winners – EEE
- Tournament Winners – MARS
- League Winners – Some Team
- League Winners (semester 1) – Marching on Together
- Division 1 Winners (semester 2) – Athletico R’Kid
- Division 2 Winners (semester 2) – Longford Park
Sport League Coordinators
Each year UoM Sport recruits energetic sports enthusiasts to assist the Recreational Sport Coordinator with running the Sport League programme for the academic year.
League coordinator positions are available in the following sports:
- Netball x 2– Sugden Sports Centre, Tuesday & Wednesday (eve)
- Rugby – Armitage Centre, Sunday
- Basketball –Sugden Sports Centre, Sunday
- Football x2 – Wythenshawe Sports Ground, Wednesday (afternoon)
- Mixed Hockey – Armitage Centre, Sunday
- Futsal – Sugden Sports Centre, Sunday
- Womens Football – Armitage Centre Thursday
The main responsibility of these roles is to manage and maintain the designated Sport league on each of the fixture dates throughout the academic year as the representative from UoM Sport.
These roles are open to students of the University of Manchester and are paid ‘casual’ roles as per the UoM pay structure. Please note, these roles are not eligible for the Stellify award.
If you would like this as your new challenge please tell us in no more than 500 words ‘Why do you want to be Sport League Coordinator and what do you feel you could offer to the role.’ And send this along with your CV.
Questions and applications should be sent via email to: Andrew.firstname.lastname@example.org
- As an official you will build skills and earn money being part of a sport that you love!
- All officials are paid to oversee fixtures.
- Mentoring and development available across all leagues.
- Links with external competitions for further development and potential income.
- Funding available to gain qualifications through UoM Sport.
- Social and recreational Sport Leagues offer a relaxed environment to help build confidence and develop new officials
- To find out how you can get involved email email@example.com
Find a Team
Don’t have a team? Don’t worry, download Playwaze join the league communities and we will help find you a team.
Sport League Schedule
Full timetable of weekly fixtures available via Playwaze
Volunteer within our leagues
With a number of teams in each of the activities which are included in the Sports League offer, there are many opportunities for individual who have played in these teams to become captains or organisers within the teams.
The roles of Team Captain and Team Organiser fall in the category of UoM Sport Leaders. This means that for those Undergraduate undertaking the roles that register their volunteering via the Sports Volunteer Scheme ;
a) Their hours will be recorded on HEAR
b) When they have logged 25 or more hours and complete a session of mandatory training ( usually the Club Captains meeting in October) then they will be eligible for the Step up to Lead stamp as part of the Stellify Award.
Team Captains and Team Organisers in the Sports Leagues are appointed through being elected by the team which they will be serving.
To find out more contact: Andrew.firstname.lastname@example.org
Our A to Zs
Sport A to Z
View our A to Z of all the sports that we offer at Manchester.
Activities A to Z
Take a look at all the activities we offer to get you more active at Manchester.