UoM Sport Scholar Fencing Success

University of Manchester student, Imogen Bulman, captained Great Britain’s Women’s Fencing EPEE Team to Bronze in the Junior World Cup

Great Britain Junior Women’s EPEE team recently competed at the Junior World Cup in Udine, Italy. The British team were ranked twelfth going into the elimination stages of the competition. They defeated the fifth seeds, Switzerland, in the round of 16. Following that victory up by beating the fourth seeds France, in the quarterfinals. Top seeds, Poland, were too strong for the team in the semi finals which set up a Bronze medal match against Spain. In a tight back and forth battle, the Great Britain Team managed to take the victory 45-40. For team competitions, Imogen’s focus is to fight the best she can on the day in accordance with the tactics needed for each specific fight.

Imogen, who is a first year medical student, as well as an athlete on our Sport Scholarship programme said:

“This result is the best result the Junior Women’s Epee Team has ever had at a Junior World Cup. It was a privilege to be a part of this team and help achieve this incredible result. To get to captain the team alongside this was amazing opportunity. As a team our goal is always to get a better place than the rank we have when we entered the competition. Which helps to improve our global ranking. Because of these results I have been selected for the Euro’s Team which I am extremely proud of.”

Imogen went on to say:

“Being a University of Manchester Sport Scholar has helped my fencing training in a number of ways. The Strength and Conditioning sessions have helped me build strength and power that I didn’t previously have. I have seen the difference in my fencing, I can lunge faster and sit deeper into my en garde position. Additionally, being a Sport Scholar has helped my preparation for this competition is through the financial support. I compete mostly overseas, and the bursary available helps support this. Finally, being in contact with the lifestyle support team has helped me manage my fencing alongside my studies.”

The application window for our 23-24 Sport Scholarship is now open, follow the link here for more information

Find out more

Sport and Activities

See our wide range of opportunities to get involved and be active in whilst you study at Manchester.

Volunteer

Be a part of the UoM Sport family and volunteer to make a difference to our community.