All the news from across UoM Sport
UoM Sport Athletic Union Clubs Raise over £12,000 for Charity During Lockdown
During lockdown 10 Athletic Union clubs took the time to launch fundraising campaigns. These campaigns engaged over 300 total students in various forms of physical challenges to help raise funds for a range of charities resulting in a total of £12,110 being raised. To learn more about what each club did and the challenges and charities they supported please read on below:
- Raised over £2000 for Mind
- 34 members ran 10k to raise money for mental health charity mind as part of Mental Health Awareness week.
Men’s & Women’s Football
- Raised £2,290 for Show Racism the Red Card
- Over 60 members ran from the University of Manchester’s Armitage Sports Centre to each Premier League home ground.
- Raised £1189 for NHS Charities Together
- Raised £1070 for Impact Lebanon
- Over 30 members ran 10k to raise money for NHS front line staff, the club then followed up cycling the combined distance to Beirut (4920km) over 10 days for those affected by the explosion in Lebanon’s capital.
- Raised £305 for Streetgames UK
- Over 40 people walk, ran and cycled 535km
- Raised £765 for Maggies Centre
- Over 20 members cycled the combined distance from each Maggies centre totalling 10,000km in July
- Raised £595 for the “International Rescue Committee”
- Over 49 members walk, ran or cycled over 1700km to help fundraise for refugees fleeing war.
- Raised £695 for local businesses
- Over 50 members ran 10k to help raise money for local business in Manchester & Fallowfield.
- Raised £401 for Barnardos
- 9 members completed the “2.6 Challenge” completing a number of “Uchikomi” moves each day.
- Raised £1000 for Mind
- 15 members ran 10k as part of UoM Sport’s “Purple Wave”
- Raised £1800 for Yemen Crisis
- Current members and alumni doing a 50 squat per day challenge for a month doing 21350 squats in total